Life, As I Know It

Life, As I Know It

Monday, March 2, 2009

Personal Histories

On Saturday (Feb. 27th) I attended the Church History Symposium at BYU for my Doctrine and Covenants class. A lot of what the speakers at the symposium talked on was more technical than I really understood, but when Elder Marlin Jenson spoke at the end it struck me that a large part of the history of the church is the history of its members. I feel like I need to write my personal history--as much as I dislike writing, I feel like it's something I should do. I've begun the process a little bit because of my family history class, but there is still so much that I need to do. We are required to write about five episodes of our lives for my family history class, but that's not quite enough. A daily journal is the ideal way for me to do this, but I've never been good at writing regularly. The closest I have to it is this blog and I don't say too much about my life in here...so I have a lot of work to do. One line from Elder Jenson's talk really stood out to me. He said, "If God has commanded it, do it." It's as simple as that. We have been commanded to keep a journal/create a personal history and we just have to do it. It's going to be hard for me, but I'm going to try!!

No comments: